Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flight Deck Fire Suppression Guidelines

Status
Not open for further replies.

davster01

Industrial
Nov 12, 2006
CA
Hi,

I was asked to research Codes, Regulations and Guidelines that are dealing with Flight Deck and Helicopter Hangar Fire Protection requirements. We have an old Transport Canada standard and there is also a IMO Resolution A.855 (20). But there is very little direction provided by these references. I wanted to know what other sources are used to design a good fire protection system on board a ship.

Thank you
davster01

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The International Code for Fire Safety Systems (IMO FSS Code) sets out minimum standards for fire safety Systems.

DNV OS 401 sets out DNV's minimum standards for the construction of Helidecks and fire protection.

I would also download CAP 437 from Civil Aviation Authority

NAEC-MISC-06900 "Aircraft Carrier Reference Data Manual," section 2.5.2 Aircraft Firefighting lists Aqueous Film Forming Foam (AFFF) stations with 600 gallon concentrate tanks. The concentrate is mixed with salt water. The reference cited is NAVAIR-00-80R-14 NATOPS US Navy Aircraft Firefighting and Rescue Manual.

MIL-T-82080 "TRUCK, FIREFIGHTING: AIRCRAFT CRASH AND RESCUE, 16,000 POUND GVW, 4 BY 4" references

MIL-F-24385 FIRE EXTINGUISHING AGENT, AQUEOUS FILM-FORMING FOAM (AFFF) LIQUID CONCENTRATE, FOR FRESH AND SEA WATER

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back