Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Flight hardware welding classification

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChadInColo

Mechanical
May 13, 2003
US
Ok, I need some help here. I am Program Manager on a job involving aerospace welding for a foreign company. (I will let anyone who is interested know what the project is as soon as we get the production contract next month, we're on facilitization now.)

The problem is, the weld classification. The company has it's own spec, all welding called out per that spec, class B welds. In one table Class B per this spec is called equivalent to US Class B welds (no spec listed). In the project QA document, AMS-STD-2219 is listed as the "Equivalent to be used". That is changing to AWS D17.1 on the revision in work.

The problem is, one engineer at the other company insists that this is flight hardware, and flight hardware welding should be used. We bid on this as non-flight. By my definition it is, it never leaves the ground. Also, some of the other project specific documents refer to it as ground support equipment. My question is simply this, per the AMS-STD-2219, are class B welds required to be flight hardware welds? Any insight would be much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back