Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flood wall design software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrThink

Structural
Mar 19, 2004
US
Does anybody have software that designs flood walls.

Trying to design a lagoon wall and want to avoid this iterative process.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sure what you mean by a "floodwall". Is this a wall with earth on one side and water on the other ? Is it subject to wave or tidal action ? Can it be overtopped ?

There are many good retaining wall design programs on the market, nearly all of which will design walls of many sorts. Have you tried the earth retention engineering forum and Googled this ?

Flood walls are defined as a wall having its principal function the prevention of flooding of adjacent land.

They are designed to hold back water not soil as in a standard retaining wall. But they look similar to retaining walls (inverted T shape).

Flood walls need to be designed for hydrostatic uplift pressure and are much harder to stabilize, resulting in a larger base and key.

The wall is needed to raise the level of a Waste water storage lagoon.

The design standard is US Army Corps - Engineering Manual 110-2-2502. But the calcs. are rather intensive and iterative, so I was wondering if anybody knew of any software.

Thanks.

There are many good retaining wall design programs on the market, nearly all of which will design walls of many sorts. Have you tried the earth retention engineering forum and Googled this ?

Among these are a programs called RetWall and another called RetainPro. From your description, I understand you are trying to design a reinforced concrete wall to withstand periodic water pressure forces. Some of the programs will do the stability analysis and some will also do the design of the reinforcement; the "internal design". A few also have trial or demo versions so you can try before you buy.

good luck

I've used RetainPro in the past with good results with earth retaining structures but never with a water retaining structure.

I have always thought that the problem lay in seepage under the wall and designing that. As far as structural it is typically a thinner section than required for earth pressures. I have found it easier to build a berm using sheetpiles so I can lengthen my seepage paths. Tom Sauk(sp?) had some nice flood walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back