Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Floor Drains and Storm Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kozzybear

Civil/Environmental
Jun 9, 2014
US
I currently have a client that has a few illicit storm connections from floor drains(the building is almost 100 years old). Now I know that BMP dictate that interior floor drains, regardless of purpose, be connected to the sanitary system, but was wondering what lawful document would dictate this code. Would it be a local code? State code? Would there be something under the International Plumbing Code?

I have just over a year of professional experience, so I am still pretty green. Sorry if this question seems obvious to some of the veterans.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Generally, if you are not touching the system, you do not have to bring it up to current code, i.e. it is grandfathered.

The minute you add a floor drain to the system, you typically have to bring it up to code. However, if it is an economic issue, you can talk to the code official and see if they will allow a connection to slide, if that is the only change going on.

By the way, there is a plumbing engineering forum. it is in the "Engineering Forums by Industry".

The plumbing code covers the floor drains within a building. You would have to find out what plumbing code has been adopted by the municipality where your project is located.

You could also be violating local stormwater discharge regulations; the local municipality responsible for the eventual discharge mostly likely has regs prohibiting the discharge of anything other than rain water (with a few exceptions such as landscape irrigation runoff and AC condensate) into the storm system. Unless of course you are in an area where the systems are comnbined.

For New York State, it's in the Plumbing Code. Requires all floor drains to discharge to an oil/water separator prior to discharging to sanitary sewer (could be as simple as a retrofited septic tank). Your DEC or even EPA probably regulates the discharge of floor drains to storm systems. You'd also need a oil/water separator to send it to the storm (more complex treatment system), but would probably require periodic samples to ensure you're meeting the effluent discharge limits.

RedBauer,

Would you please verify this? I have done design for projects in NY state recently and have not taken drainage from floor drains to a oil/water separator. Also, it was my understanding NY uses the IPC, with certain modifications, none of which I find related to floor drains and oil/water separators.

I don't disagree that some drainage from floor drains can be required to go to a oil/waste interceptor, i.e. car garage drains, but I am doubtful about all.

Sorry, any area with petroleum products was ingrained into my head - head why I indicated "all". It's floor drains that have oil, grease, or flammable wastes that have the potential to discharge through the drains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back