Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Floor Joists Code vs Engineering 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodman1967

Structural
Feb 11, 2008
CA
I have a question about the 2015 IRC on joist spans.

Table R502.3.1(2) (residential living areas LL-40psf, DL-10psf, L/delta = 360) states that for a 2"x10" @ 16" SPF #2 the max span is 15'-5". But I have an engineered calc sheet (Woodworks Sizer 11 USA) that shows the max span is 15'. The calc sheet shows a clear span of 15'. When the IRC states 15'-5" span does it mean clear span?

Just curious why the IRC allows for a slightly longer span than engineering allows. I've added a copy of the calc sheet in case there was something missed in the calculation

Thanks all

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=6c2fa576-067a-42a0-82a4-d330ec9051ba&file=Beam1.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

2015 NDS 3.2.1 Span of Bending Members said:
For simple, continuous and cantilevered bending members, the span shall be taken as the distance from face to face of supports, plus 1/2 the required bearing length at each end.

So that's 15' 3-1/2" clear for the IRC table. What kind of span do you get with no self weight? A very basic floor assembly usually has the joist included in the 10psf. Carpet, 1/2 plywood, joists, and 1/2 gyp ceiling. Doesn't add up to much. You might squeeze out an extra couple inches.

That's exactly what it is. Soon as the self-weight was removed the max span worked out to be 15'-3 1/2".

I agree with you on what dead load should be. Usually spec a dead load of 15psf or higher depending on the floor finish.

Thanks for spotting the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back