Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Florida Code Question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RST1952

Structural
Feb 6, 2002
US
I grew up in FL but, although licensed there, have never practised in that state. I'm assisting a friend with the design of a custom home (CMU with fabricated wood trusses located near the coast) and am trying to decided which of the prescriptive manuals to purchase, if any. The FL Code allows the use of the AF&PA Wood Frame Construction Manual for One and Two-Family Dwellings - 1995 SBC High Wind Ed. 1996; the FC&PA Guide to Concrete Masonry Resident Construction in High Wind Areas, 1997; and the SBCCI SSTD 10. Additionally, a Florida Residential Building Code is to be published this month, if I've read the Code web site correctly. Other than the the Florida Building Code, what would any of you Floridians suggest? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

none

What county are you designing for? If not Miami Dade area then should be no problem. Call the building dept and get there local guide.

See ICC Consensus Committee on Hurricane Resistant Construction (IS-HRC) ICC SSDT-1099 for typical details:

Foundations are a little different (Mono slabs). Roofs use prefab engineered trusses with lots steel hold downs and clips.

Good luck

Thanks. You've saved my friend some bucks.

Consider specifing the Simpson Zmax hold down connectors for the new pressure treated wood. If u want I can send you my note page we use in Florida.

That would be great. I wasn't sure how to deal with the new corrosive wood treatments. One magazine I read suggested inert spacers between the wood and the metal or increasing the galvanizing. Might as well let Simpson deal with the problem. My e-mail address is:

Robert.S.Tucker@usace.army.mil

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back