Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

flow bench idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiatfactory

Automotive
May 23, 2004
AU
Hi all, first post (well this is a repost in a hopefully more appropriate forum) long time reader.

I have an FMA 400 flow bench, which I mainly do small european 4 cylinder cylinder heads. It uses a flowcom and software similar to the recent supaflow benches, in that it has pitot, swirl and tumble capabilities.

My question is this: I currently use a pitot tube to measure and record air speed, but feel that some useful information might be had if I could take air speed readings right at the valve head...to assess any air speed differences around the valves periphery.

My pitot tube doesn't allow me to reach that far and accurately around the corner.

My idea was to fabricate a dummy valve, with a hollow stem and a small hole in one of the faces ...but I'm stumped as to exactly where, and what orientation this hole (and associated pipe) should be. Any advice, ideas?

Thanks in advance,

SteveC

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back