Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flow conversion....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynx

Mechanical
Aug 16, 2002
US
Hello,
I am having to convert several different flow rates for construction.
I have feet per sec and I am having to convert to standard cubic feet per sec.
Can someone post an easy conversion please.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Lynx:

Feet per second (ft/s) is a linear velocity. Cubic feet per sec (ft[sup]3[/sup]/s) is a volumemetric flow. They are related as per:

Volumetric flow = (linear velocity)(flow area)

For example, let's take a linear velocity of 8 ft/s in a pipe with an inside diameter of 4 inches:

(1) flow area = (Pi)(diameter)[sup]2[/sup]/4 = (3.14)(4)[sup]2[/sup]/4 = 12.57 in[sup]2[/sup]= 0.087 ft[sup]2[/sup]

(2) Volumetric flow = (8)(0.087) = 0.7 ft[sup]3[/sup]/s

Milton Beychok
(Contact me at www.air-dispersion.com)

Lynx:

Download a free copy of the units conversion program "CONVERT 4.1" from the web page
It is an easy to use unit conversion program that will convert the most popular units of distance, temperature, volume, time, speed, mass, etc

Milton,
I was just looking over your book "Fundamentals of Stack Gas Dispersion". We are currently building a Flare Gas Recovery unit to eliminate enviromental polution (H2S, etc..)

Thanks again y'all & Perth I downloaded the Convert tool :)

I concur with mbeychok but note to convert to standard cubic feet per sec (Q[sub]s[/sub]), you need to correct the flowing temperature(T[sub]a[/sub]) and pressure (P[sub]a[/sub]) conditions to standard T - P conditions using the combined gas laws:

P[sub]a[/sub]Q[sub]a[/sub]/T[sub]a[/sub]=P[sub]s[/sub]Q[sub]s[/sub]/T[sub]s[/sub]

where the subscript a refers to actual conditions and the subscript s refers to standard conditions

Also, you may need to correct for compressibility depending on your operating pressure and your working fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back