Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flow induced vibration 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

S4in

Mechanical
Apr 11, 2008
FI
Hello everybody!
Do any of you have any tips on how to calculate vibrations caused by pressuredrop over an orifice?
It now seems that higher backpressure leads to heavier vibrations.
The flow is also fluctuating, reprociating pump.

Any tips on litterature would also be welcome!

Cheers,
Sai

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

S4in...

In piping systems, a vibration problem is usually encountered and addressed. It is rarely evaluated before the system is started-up.

General pipe support schemes have been developed for supporting control valves and orifices. Usually these involve pipe anchors and rigid, 2-way guides near the components. Alternately, there are piping "fixes" to be designed into the system, such as spargers downstream of control valves for the high pressure drop situations.

Wit regard to recommendations on literature, I have always been fond of Mary Shelly (Frankenstein), George Orwell (1984, Animal Farm, and many others),Daniel Defoe (Last of the..) and of course, my hero... the venerable and acidic PJ O'Rourke ("Parlament of Whores" and "Give War a Chance" and many, many sarcastic articles)

-MJC

heh, Thank you MJCronin.
and yes, this problem was discovered after startup.. now i need to explain why.
it´d be nice to have some calculative figures to back it up with, not just saying: "It´s there"

Thank you also for the excellent literature recommendations, but I would also like some textbooks or articles discussing this problem :)

As BigInch alludes, you need to tell us more info. What frequency are the vibrations, what are the fluid & properties, pipe size, orifice dia. & length, what material...

As it's a (reprociating)reciprocating pump, I would suggest you look at the acceleration / deceleration of flow in the inlet line as a starting point.

Get hold of a hand held vibration meter and take your readings before moving fluid, and after on both sides of the RO. Calculations are not feasible in this situation

Offshore Engineering&Design

plate type RO's with recip's are not a good idea. they wont last and they are noisy

you need go variable speed or use a kickback valve arrangement

Thank you all for your answers!

I need to get some more data before I can come back to you, but now I have some guidlines!

Many thanks to you all!!

Best regards,
Sai

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back