Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flow Meter 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Engineerd

Civil/Environmental
Apr 24, 2006
US
I am working on a project in which I need to install a flow meter vault (horseshoe style manhole) to measure the flow of domestic wastewater on a 6" HDPE sewer main. The flow meter needs to be a non invasive "strap-on" style that will fit inside the 4' diameter manhole. The sensors need to be submersible since they will sit below the water table. The transmitter will be attached to an existing backboard approx. 20' away. There are more parameters, but I was hoping to find a good site that has a variety of different flow meters of this style. Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not quite clear what you are planning to do.

Most sewer authorities require a sampling station as well as a flow monitor. Not sure from your posting if you are providing the sampling or just have an enclosed pipe running through a manhole.

Note that all of the magmeters and ultransonics require a pipe flowing flow for proper operation.

Also don't understand the comment regarding submersible. How do you get groundwater in a new sanitary sewer? If you will, can not understand how the regulatory body will be happy with that situation.

Consider the use of a sump pump to keep groundwater out of the manhole.

sam74 posted about a product called Flo-Dar could provide what you are looking for:

Our plant has used sonic flow meters in the past. You can always check with various manufactures to see if they will be okay in a submerged situatuion. Ours are open to the rain.

I did a web engine search and came up with a few sites to look at.

I guess I should have been a little more clear. I am designing a flow metering station in Western Alaska to measure the instantaneous flow rate and total flow through a 6x12 HDPE SDR 11 Arctic Pipe Forcemain(6" pipe inside a 12" CMP jacket, foam insulation between). The metering station will be located near a lift station. We will dig down to the pipe, strip the CMP jacket, and drop a 4' dia. manhole with horseshoe cutouts on top. Since the forcemain sits below the water table the sensors need to be submersible. And yes sump pumps will be in place in the event that the manhole does flood. Thanks for all of your help, I think I found a flow meter that will work.

I did install a siemens sitrans flow meter, they also have a model where you can separate the monitor from the flow meter itself so that there will be no need to open the manhole for reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back