Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FLoWorks help

Status
Not open for further replies.

element94

Mechanical
Dec 2, 2004
US
I need some help with COSMOS FLoWorks. I'm doing external flow analysis with questionable results. FLoWorks is showing a drag force of 2 lbs on an object I know has around 70 lbs. When I show flow trajectories they flow thru the body and not around. It's like the body does not exist. It's not the component control because all bodies are enabled. Help please. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try to use the Floworks "check geometry" tool. (FloWorks > Tools > Check Geometry, Check) It will tell you the volume of what it recognizes as fluid and solid. If it reports that you have 0 solid volume then you may have a problem. This tool should really be used on every model, especially in assemblies the "check for invalid contact" option can be a lifesavor when troubleshooting.

Hope this helps.. -Matt

If there is invalid contact it will tell you in that window which features on which components are interfering.

If you have a thin model, you may need to refine your mesh. Go to your local initial mesh settings. There are 4 tabs, click the help button on each to learn what each option will do for you. If you still can't get it to work with these settings you may need to look into "control planes" in the help menu.

-Matt

when you plot the mesh on a 2D plane do you see this component resolved properly?? if the component is not resolved then the flow would go right through it. if the component is thin as compared to other components then you might have to specify the min. wall thickness or use control planes for meshing.

Ok, when I plotted on a 2D plane the flow went through it. I changed the minimum wall thickness to .6 in (it was set at 1.147 ft!!)and that made the difference. I get awesome results, One problem, the time to compute the results is horrible. I set the gap resolution to the minumum and I stopped it after 13 iterations and it still took over an hour. Any idea how to speed it up? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back