Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fluid flow 3 user defined generic 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimitp

Structural
Jan 12, 2015
SE
Hi. Im using FF3 and want to see if a pump will be sufficient in different setups.

Behind the pump is a user defined generic with a defining equation: K+ ABQ^n+CD^m, where Q is given by what ever pump i put in

The input to the user defined generic i have is X*v^2 (where V is velocity) for the pressure drop. how do i convert this to fit FF3:s defining equation?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It would be good to know what that equation is supposed to be equal to. What is it calculating, Head, or pressure increase?

A reasonably accurate function for a pump's Differential Head in terms of flowrate Q can be generated using a similar equation.

H(Q) = Hs + A Q^2 + B Q

Hs is pump differential head at a flowrate of 0, shutoff head.
A is usually a negative value.
You adjust those A and B coefficients to give you a curve that looks like your pump's H-Q curve.

Pressure increase is simply H(Q) * Specific gravity * Fluid Density

In your equation above, your AB corresponds to my A, your D corresponds to my Q and your C=1. I'd let n = 2, or thereabouts, and m = 1

Hi again. Thank you for your input.

So to specify:

I want to use the functionality of FF3 (Fluid Flow 3) to determine if a specific pump can cope with different heights above a tank. the pump will supply a filter that will give a pressure drop. However i am unfamiliar with the Defining equation: §P = K + ABQ^n + CDQ^m , see picture:
FF3_gu_nvq5sa.jpg

The only thing i have in terms of pressure drop values from this filter is a modified Bernoulli’s eq: X*v^2 for different velocities, v. So the question is how do i use my pressure drop equation (X*v^2) in FF3?

Q=v : cant be correct. They are two different variables

Q= flow, witch to my knowledge is dependent upon the booster specified in FF3 and v is the mean flow velocity.

Am i missing something?

Yes i have thought about that but the user defined generic is a special type of filter that has multiple areas. i guess i will have to go with multiplying by a mean A for this filter.
Thank you advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back