Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fluid flow simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nexim

Electrical
Feb 7, 2008
GB
I have seen pictures, and videos, and heard much about computational fluid dynamics, and I have Solidworks 2007.

How does one go about doing fluid flow simulations on a part or assembly in solidworks?

I've looked through SW help file and theres nothing in there, so I'm guessing 1.) It's not possible in SW, or 2.) I need some plug-in or additional software or something.

If thats not the case, then wheres the best place to get started with CFD?...I would love to do it in Solidworks though, since as a mechanical CAD program i love it.

I'm aware of the high resources it can take, but I'm not bothered about leaving simulations run for a few days at a time. My computer isn't too bad either.

Thanks alot

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you. So It can't be done straight from Solidworks then?

I had a look on COSMOS website, and I think I would need "COSMOSFloWorks"? Is that what you're talking about?

CosmosFloWorks will do fluid analysis. A few of the other engineers here use it to do thermal simulations of natural and force convection. It is a plug into solidworks. One advantage it has over the other 3rd party apps I have seen is you do not have to convert you model to IGES files, you can work directly with your solidworks files. The down side is you will have to open a second window of SW if you want to work on another model while the simulation is running (lots of resources need to even think about trying this).

As the others wrote, COSMOSFloWorks will work and works very well.
If you have never used COSMOS or any type of fluid dynamics, I strongly suggest get some training with the purchase of the application(s).

Chris
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 08 2.0
AutoCAD 06/08
ctopher's home (updated 10-07-07)

Following up on the other posts. They are correct you need COSMOS FloWorks which integrates "seamlessly" with SolidWorks. Once you add FloWorks you have an additional drop down menu from which to conduct an analysis.

The program is relatively easy to use when talking CFD. That said, CFD is extremely complicated and I would suggest a training course. The SolidWorks course is nice. I took it last year. It was three days as I remember and costs about $1500. There is not a lot of demand for the course so I had to travel to LA. I can't remember the exact number but a license will run somewhere around $10K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back