Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flush plan 31 - orifice location

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vladimir99

Mechanical
Oct 23, 2007
CA
Reagarding the flush plan 31 with orifice plate

It is normal to have the orifice on the suction line of the pump. (under the cyclone)

My understanding :
1. outlet recirculate to the cyclone
2. clean part goes to the gland *mechanical seal
3. dirt go to the suction line, but through an orifice.

By doing it like this, do you think the orifice will always be plug. (my application are caustic centrifugal pump and water pump)

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In my experience, all three lines connected to a cyclone are orificed. But, the orifices in the dirty and clean outlets are usually built in as part of the cyclone design. The orifice that is variable is normally the one on the inlet to the cyclone. I only ever recall seeing one cyclone with a separate orifice on the clean outlet. And I have never seen one with an orifice on the dirty outlet. The correct configuration depends on the design of the cyclone. The particular cyclone would have been designed for a range of inlet flows and this design should dictate the correct location and sizing of all orifices. You must consult with the cyclone manufacturer for their requirements

Johnny Pellin

I usually try to put the orifice where the largest leak could be expected if seal tubing breaks. In this case it would be on the cyclone inlet, close to the pump discharge.

Agree with JJPellin, flow split between clean and dirty should be built into the cyclone itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back