Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FLUX FOCUSING WITH POLE PIECE 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd619

Structural
Jan 7, 2005
US
I'm working on a design for a magnetic dipole with a steel yoke, most likely using permanent neodymium magnets. My goal is to achieve the highest field possible across a gap over a certain minimum area, with an emphasis on uniformity of the field over this area.
My question is if I use a cone shaped pole piece to focus the flux to a smaller area over the gap can I pretty much divide the larger area by the new smaller area to get a value >1 and multiply that by the value I would have gotten across the same size gap with the larger area to find my new Bg?
Also, how much, if any, will the pole piece help with uniformity?

Hope this is clear
Thanks for any help
-Todd Massure

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Todd619 - do you need to have access to the air gap from all sides? If not, you could use a 2D closed-loop permanent magnet configuration with access from two sides, to generate 2-3 T using the principle of superposition. Two particular versions of such a device [that my company happens to produce] can be found by searching for details of US patents 5,886,609 and 5,635,889 at the uspto.gov Web site. there are other versions out there as well, including closed loop Halbach arrays and the like.

Gareth P. Hatch, Ph.D.
Director of Technology
Dexter Magnetic Technologies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back