Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

FM200 Ventilation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWeak

Mechanical
Oct 26, 2011
I have a room protected by FM200, since this is a clean agent and not harmful to the health is it really need to provide ventilation after the discharge, because we are mandate to provide ventilation and compute for the time needed to exhaust the discharge agent.please help.thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You'll find the requirement in NFPA 2001, however I rarely see it enforced by the local AHJ.

I believe, but haven't looked at the ROP's and ROC's to verify this, that the concern is the gas itself, but rather the by-products of combustion (i.e HF). If the design provides for only a manual release, you'll likely have higher concentrations of HF, than systems with automatic release as the fire size would larger.

Regards,
Dan Marr

"Real world Knowledge isn't dropped from a parachute in the sky but rather acquired in tiny increments from a variety of sources including panic and curiosity."

this section?????????????

A.1.5.1.4.1 The steps and safeguards necessary to prevent injury or death to personnel in areas whose atmospheres will be made hazardous by the discharge or thermal decomposition of clean agents can include the following:

(1)Provision of adequate aisleways and routes of exit and procedures to keep them clear at all times.

(2)Provision of emergency lighting and directional signs as necessary to ensure quick, safe evacuation.

(3)Provision of alarms within such areas that will operate immediately upon detection of the fire.

(4)Provision of only outward-swinging, self-closing doors at exits from hazardous areas and, where such doors are latched, provision of panic hardware.

(5)Provision of continuous alarms at entrances to such areas until the atmosphere has been restored to normal.

(6)Provision of warning and instruction signs at entrances to and inside such areas. These signs should inform persons in or entering the protected area that a clean agent system is installed and should contain additional instructions pertinent to the conditions of the hazard.

(7)Provision for the prompt discovery and rescue of persons rendered unconscious in such areas. This should be accomplished by having such areas searched immediately by trained personnel equipped with proper breathing equipment. Self-contained breathing equipment and personnel trained in its use and in rescue practices, including artificial respiration, should be readily available.

(8)Provision of instruction and drills for all personnel within or in the vicinity of such areas, including maintenance or construction people who could be brought into the area, to ensure their correct action when a clean agent system operates.

(9)Provision of means for prompt ventilation of such areas. Forced ventilation will often be necessary. Care should be taken to readily dissipate hazardous atmospheres and not merely move them to another location.

(10)Prohibition against smoking by persons until the atmosphere has been determined to be free of the clean agent.

(11)Provision of such other steps and safeguards that a careful study of each particular situation indicates is necessary to prevent injury or death

thanks, but is there any section in ASHRAE or other related code that will give formula to calculate the airflow needed to purge the agent after the discharge? For example, if the door is open after the fire dissipates, how much time is needed to get back safely in the area or what if I turn on the AC how much time I needed to purged the discharged agent.

I am not sure if that is the section that other posts feel requires it

And not sure if that section actualy requires a system in place or just provide a means to do it

You might just calculate a system that will give so many air changes per hour

The last one I saw had the exhaust fan come on and one for fifteen minutes, cannot remember the cfm on the system

You will not find a definite how to or how quick. Each situation is different. As cdafd said calculate your system for a number of air changes per minute or hour that you can live with. Once it goes off, you have other problems to deal with. Typically AC systems use return air from the space and therefore will not help ventilate the area.

ok but if the only means to purge the agent is to use a ventilator, what is the design air change I need to use. Also what do you mean that once its goes off there's other problem to deal with?can you elaborate much clearly.thanks

Fire!
The time requirement is up to you and your budget. Estimate the cost difference in an air change per minute and one per 5 minutes. You will not find a required time to remove the agent. Just that it has to be removed before entry.

Volume of room per time. (cfm or cfh)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back