Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FM200 with HVAC Smoke Damper

Status
Not open for further replies.

fcxdfm

Mechanical
Apr 19, 2006
US
Could anyone advise why the smoke dampers are required at HVAC supply and return duct for the electrical room protected by FM200 system? Which code should I refer to for this requirement? I am wondering if FM200 control panel can shut down the air-handling unit instead of smoke damper in case smoke is detected in the room?

Thank you for advise.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The reason smoke dampers are required is to ensure the design concentration is maintained. Fire dampers are designed only to limit the spread of fire. They do limit the spread of smoke, but smoke dampers are designed to accomplish this and are more efficient.

Most dampers currently in the market that are listed as meeting UL standard 555 are combination fire and smoke dampers.

See the following requirement from Section 5.3.4 of NFPA Standard 2001, which governs the design and construction of clean agent fire suppression systems:

To prevent loss of agent through openings to adjacent hazards or work areas, openings shall be permanently sealed or equipped with automatic closures. Where reasonable confinement of agent is not practicable, protection shall be expanded to include the adjacent connected hazards or work areas or additional agent shall be introduced into the protected enclosure using an extended discharge configuration.

Thanks, Stookeyfpe. It looks the A/C unit with 100% return air does not need to be shut down when the fire or smoke is detected per NFPA2001.

Your goal is to create a gas tight compartment, unless your design tolerates the leakage of the agent. Read the entire standard, not the parts that make you think your design will work for the given application

I am not chastizinging. Rather, make sure that the design compensates for leakage.

I wouldn't trust a Vesda detector on its own to shut down HVAC and release FM200.
The first false alarm (and they happen often in some datacenters), you will be crying.
At least use two and cross zone them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back