Status
Not open for further replies.

RomanKatz

Industrial
Aug 29, 2012
IL
Hello friends,

I have a question for you:

We produce a windscreen fluid in a 4m3 storage tank. A centrifugal pump(100-600 LPM) pumps the liquid into a 1m3 tank that feeds the filling machine.
When a 1m3 tank is empty, the pump works to fill the tank.

It is then, the foam is produced, lots of it.

Any suggestions how to minimize it?

Thanks

Best Regards
Roman Katz

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is there surfactant(s) in the recipe?

Where does the fluid enter the 1 m3 tank? Top (splash fill), side, bottom (submerged fill)? Are there any internals to help minimize the foam?

Good Luck,
Latexman

The components are:

IPA
NP9 some kind of soap
Buthyl glycole
perfume

, 2'' GS pipe from bottom of the storage tank to the pump, about 4 m long.It's a top fill, from the pump to the 1m3 tank.

Best Regards
Roman Katz

Nonylphenol 9 mole ethoxylate. Yep, a strong soap.

Surely, the main component is water, right?

The spash filling is causing the foam. Fill the 1m3 tank from the bottom. Don't let it go all the way empty. Start filling the tank while the bottom fill inlet is still submerged, like at 10-20%.

Do you mix, or does the fluid come premixed? If mix, where is it mixed?

Btw, if it's really foamy, the NP9 is in the foam, and not in the fluid. The packaged fluid could be out of spec.

Good Luck,
Latexman

No, I will not suggest a different soap. NP9 is inexpensive and a good soap. It can be foamy, if not handled correctly and gently.

I learned how to handle surfactants by pouring mugs of beer and watching bartenders pour mugs of beer. You definately want to minimize any disturbance of the surface and turbulence.

Good Luck,
Latexman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back