Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Font for Laser cutting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobbyv4

Mar 1, 2002
GB
Can anyone point me in the direction of a font I can import to windows that we can laser cut. The font letter has to be a continous double line start to end. i.e the letter O would need a break in it (much like the letter C but almost closed) otherwise the centre would just fall out upon cutting. Any suggestions people?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are programs out there that allow you to create you own fonts. You may want to use something like this to modify existing fonts.

You may want to find someone who is a wiz at Adobe Illustrator. Illustrator has utilities that allow one to turn fonts into geometry and extract the outlines. These can then be exported as DXF. I've had this done before. [bat]Gravity is a harsh mistress.[bat]

You could try MyFonts.com and download the fonts you want, then using a Post-Processor program out there, have it converted to G-code.

Or create your onw in CAD then process to G-codes. There are programs out there, maybe like MillWizard, ArtCAM or Cielle.

A guy at our factory created a font converter, but only for a select few fonts. Draw them up in CAD and process them.

Cameron Anderson - Sales & Applications Engineer
Aerotech, Inc. -
"Dedicated to the Science of Motion"

Got no problem converting to the G/NC code, it was just time consuming having to break up the standard windows installed font to suit.

I've found some that's usfull already from the site that
Pekelder suggested.

Still always usefull to find others to add to the collection I'll have a look at myfonts.com thank very much.

Any luck yet, I was looking for a script type font that was all joined also, it's a real pain to have to explode the text and adjust/add radii. The stencil fonts are good but I wanted something a little more script like.
I don't have the luxury of a laser, I've go to use plain 'ole propane which obviously limits my minimum thickness which is why I have to modify the radius. If it's too small or the cuts are too close, the ends fuse together...Mike

No luck in finding a joined up script, I've not ben looking for one really. If I spot one on my travels I'll post the address here. Appreciate if you could do the same.

Most definetly wil do. On a side note, I've tried a few font editing programs, by the time you learn the software you could just have modified the font manually...Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back