Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Font Issue - Invalid annotation

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrittToolEngineer

Aerospace
Aug 4, 2016
US
Greetings:

I have opened a design file that a different engineer designed. When I go to drafting and attempt to change any words, as soon as I begin typing or deleting the text, I get the following error message: Invalid annotation specified in entry field.

Even if I delete the text and attempt to put a new note on the draft, I get this same error. How do I get around this?

Thanks,

Brent

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Does this happen if you :
1) open that drawing file
2) create a new note
i.e not touch any existing notes ?

The "Invalid annotation...." is normally a message that pops up if/when one writes something containing a single < or >
- the NX notes are somewhat similar to HTML in that it uses pre/post "tags" such as <i20.000>italic text<i0>
where <i20.000> dictates : "text after this will incline 20 degrees" and <i0> = end italic text. ( 20 degrees ONLY applies to the old Unigraphics fonts, these can be slanted any degree by typing a different angle. Standard fonts cannot be slanted differently by this variable.)
the < > are reserved for these tags.

and, If one types "a<b" NX will complain that this is a incomplete tag, unmatched "<"
( If one wants to write "a<b" on a drawing, the syntax is "a$<b", where the $ will make NX treat the < like a regular character.)

Regards,
Tomas

There must be some note / table / annotation somewhere which contains some "illegal character", not necessarily this < > , my only tip is start deleting note after note until the error message goes away.
then re-open the file , and delete the note that made the message disappear.

Maybe the logfile contains a record of which object it is but it might still be difficult finding it.

Regards,
Tomas

Found the issue. Our IT found that my computer did not have the particular font that this particular file was seeking, and so it just did not allow text at all until that particular font was available. Once they put the font file that this design file was seeking, it worked just fine and any font could be used. I think the font within UG is a bigger issue than it should be. We are talking font. Come on UG, let's improve here.

Thanks Tomas for your help.

Brent

I believe you should be able to use any true type font in the font folder or on your computer. Did the other designer use a font that they had downloaded onto only their computer and thus caused the problem?

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

This is interesting.
In the "old days", when NX only used the "unigraphics type fonts", then if I sent a part file to another company that didn't have "my fonts", NX would substitute the missing font with the "Blockfont", and insert squares in the notes when missing individual characters. There was a message about this but not an error.
( NX8.x and later supports the use of both Truetype and "Unigraphics fonts")

Do you know what font your computer was missing ?
Was this a True type ( open type) or a "Unigraphics font" ?

Regards,
Tomas

I will find out what the font type was that was added to my computer. What is interesting however is that two different engineers could open the same file and did not have a problem at all. Also, this file did have the squares where dimension text was, and I was able to "change" the font of already placed dimensions in order to read it. However, I could not add a note or modify an existing note until the missing font was added to the font folder. Again, I will find out what that font type was and let you know.

Brent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back