Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Font plotting problems / conversion 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernDrafter

Civil/Environmental
Nov 7, 2002
US
Hello everyone. I had quit my job of 17 years and took up with another company a year ago. Everyone was hopelessly stuck in AutoCad R14. I have 2002 on my machine, and everything is fine EXCEPT:

Something is going on with our fonts. Letters such as "N" "M" and "V", the pointed angles of these letters are stretching beyond their intended distance. It's not making things illegible, but it does look kinda strange. This problem occurs ONLY ON THE PLOTS. You cannot see anything unusual on the screen.

When I start and finish a drawing myself in 2002, there is no problem. The problem arises when I edit older R14 dwgs. and then plot them out. The other drafters (planner and EIT) not what I would call drafters, use the simplex font. I have always used Romans.

Has anyone encountered this problem, and could it be fixed??
I have tried so many things, including matching properties to newer text. Nothing is working.

thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I once had a similar problem (sort of) plotting to an OCE machine. However, when we plotted the same drawing to an HP the problem didn't exist. Just like your problem there was no predicting it from what was seen on the screen. Could your problem be in the plotter or driver(s)??? Maybe try Garamond (or other comparible) font and see if you get the same problem. Just some thoughts.

Did you try the reply Fucarro had to your post at PAUG Feb 19?
"Enter FONTALT at the command prompt to operate the changes.
OR
Find in the AutoCAD SUPPORT directory the ACAD.FMP file. This is the font maping file, you may edit it with any text editor (Notepad). Add this line at the end:
simplex; ROMANS.shx
This line will inform AutoCAD to replace in all texts the simplex fonts with romans. "

No, I haven't yet. But thanks for letting me know there was a response. This is probably the first solution I have heard that I haven't tried. I'll let ya know how it went.

thanks again.

Could it be in the print driver you are using? I do not use acad but with microstation we have had problems with older print drivers after upgrading the program. Hope that will help.

My problem is solved. Thanks for all the input. Just in case anyone else had the problem, it was a simple fix...
change the "line join style" in the plot style file (.ctb) My company had them all set to MITER. This was the cause of the problem. I changed them to "use oject....".

That cleared it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back