Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Food and Pharmaceutical Valve Requirements 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vidaman

Mechanical
Jul 28, 2002
US
Are there any industry specifications/certifications for valves used in the food and pharmaceutical industries? We are looking at redesigning a couple of our valves for this industry and I've just started to review the industry's requirements. The FDA seems to provide no other guidelines other than material selection. I'm looking for more design/performance criteria.

Any and all help is always appreciated.

-Mike

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Mike, there really is no design/performance criteria from these agencies, just materials in contact with the target streams. Try NSF (the national sanitation foundation) it's just another organization that regulates the materials of construction for things in contact with food and process fluids intended for consumption...

BobPE

ASME publishes a document called "BPE" (bioprocessing equipment) which may help you some, but it covers a lot of stuff besides valves. On the food processing side you may need to narrow your search a bit, since there are lots of groups and councils out there to deal with. In addition to the FDA, the United States Public Health Service mught be a good take-off point.

Mike, The US Department of Agriculture- Agriculture Marketing Services - Dairy Grading Branch (USDA/AMS/Dairy Division) have very strict guidelines for sanitary valves and equipment entitled "USDA guidelines for sanitary design and fabrication of dairy processing equipment". My copy is dated February 1998. There may be a more up to date release but you are welcome to a copy of what I have. We have a valve designed to the standard. Let me know if you want more information.

I have not come across any specifications being stated by the users I have had experience with.
In my experience there is a large difference between food and pharmacy. The later involving micro polishing etc.
The user will review - surface finish, inclusions or cavities and the basic design.
Sterile enviroments for plasma or potted water and like medias use stainless bodied PTFE Diaphragm valves so that the autoclaving (high temp steam) will reach every part which than contacts the media, if there are areas the steam cannot reach i.e.bearings or inclusions then it is not suitable for this application.
close colaboration with users is a must. Have a look at [b[[/b] which are butterfly valves which would typically handle powder and the like i.e. no autoclave involved.
Glass valves are used by research facilities developing drugs.
Food applications tend to be a little less stringent. Handling chocolate needs virtually no additional processing except a clean build and many other food applications fall into the same catagory. Again close contact with a user will enable you to gain a better insite.
Hope this helps a little.
B

Thanks to everyone for the information. I certainly helps in geeting up to speed on the subject.

Thanks to all for your input.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back