Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Footing Jacketing

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaisalAAOUATIF

Structural
Oct 24, 2012
MA
Good Evening / Morning .
Due to a additionnal load on an existing isolated footing , i'm trying to redesign it by using the jacketing it by two orthogonal beams.
My question is about new beams reinforcement ( please see attachment ) :

1.Is longitudinal beams reinforcement , by direction , should balance all the new effort from the column , regardless existing reinforcement in the existing footing ?
2. What are disposition for calculating lniks between old and new concrete ?

Thanks a LOT.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=2fa416f7-e55c-49a6-9524-e66cf00f0dc9&file=Isolated_footing_jacketing.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I haven't seen a perimeter beam around a footing like that.

At the pier above the footing, I recommend adding a shear head made out of channel steel, and reinforcing similar to a post at a two-way slab (inverted). Design the footings for the factored soil capacity, not the applied load, as a courtesy to future engineers.

I've done something similar myself for additional load on a footing. However, what I did was to widen the footing to handle the new pressure....and have 4 beams (2 per direction) on top of the footing. The new beams ran on top of the old & new parts of the footing. The whole thing looked like an inverted double T beam. The beams on top of the footing tied directly to the pier delivering the axial load. (So the distance between the beams was the width of the pier.)

I tied it all together with re-bar and Hiltis. (The required number of which depended on shear flow, etc.)

Doing this made the footing rigid enough to ensure any additional load was evenly distributed (I hope).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back