Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

For Recent FE/EIT takers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonstone

Civil/Environmental
Oct 29, 2004
US
For those who took the FE exam last year, what was the format of the exam? Do they ask multiple questions based on one figure. For example do you see something like - Questions 20-25 are based on the following equation, or figure, etc?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

bioengr82;
Your following statement is incorrect and is misleading to those that will take the exam in the future <<If you can answer 30% of the test, guess 'c' for the rest (of which you will get 25% correct) chances are pretty good that you will pass. Also Jabberwocky, what state do you live in? No states I know about give a percent unless you fail. Additionally, (correct me if I'm wrong) I believe the just add E.I. on the business card>>

If you pass the FE exam, most state boards will allow you to use E.I.T. (Engineer in training), not EI.

metengr:

fine...if you answer 30% of the test CORRECTLY and get 25% of the remaining by guessing then you will most likely pass (depending on the year). also the test is no longer the E.I.T. but the FE. In the consulting business you are not an EIT but an engineer intern and thus E.I. is added to your business card.

what specifically do you take exception with metengr?

Jabberwocky:

In practice, we usually do not use EIT on business cards since it meas nothing and in some circles it is looked down upon by people. Don't get me wrong, it is a significant milestone for you in your career and on your way to the PE, but this success is all yours, being modest at this point until you get the PE will serve you well.

Bob

Well, to be frank I volunteer to review and write questions for the FE and PE exams. So, to answer "c" is totally incorrect and misleading. Answer patterns are recognized and dealt with accordingly.

All questions are not evenly weighted, and by chance you had answered enough correct responses by guessing to achieve a passing score - count yourself lucky at best (LOL).

When I took the exam the correct response for passing was "B" for better, and not “C” Maybe next year it will be "A" or "D", LOL.

'c' is an arbitrary letter to illustrate my point. According to the NCEES website, that you referenced in a previous post there is no penalty for incorrect answers, regardless of pattern. Also, since I mentioned in my first post how the test is graded, it is apparent I am familiar with how the questions evaluated. Your statement that questions are not evenly weighted IS incorrect. The final required score to pass IS the summation of fractions. The manner in which you achieve the required score is NOT based off weighted questions. Therefore answering 30% correctly plus (.7*.25) = 47.5% which is usually enough to pass. I am interested to know when you worked for the NCEES and how exactly 'anwser patterns' are dealt with. Please advise.

Sorry, but I cannot and will not provide more detail. I had signed an agreement in 2004 with the interested parties to assure security for all exams.

I should clarify that the questions within each secion (morning and afternoon) are weighted equally. As mentioned above the afternoon section is worth the same as morning w/ 1/2 the questions.

bioengineer:

If answer patterns are manipulated by someone, statistical approaches go out the window. Anyway, what is the point you are trying to make?

Bob

BobPE: Those were pretty much my thoughts as well. I don't think it should be looked down upon per se, but I would definitely agree it is an indicator of relative inexperience.

Bioenfr82: I live in Florida, and I did not expect to receive a numerical score unless I failed. But the letter came in the mail with a passing grade of 83, but not 83%.

For the record, as can be seen in an earlier post, I purely guessed on at least 15% of the questions, although maybe I just did well enough on the ones I knew for it to make no difference...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back