Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

For those that Switched from I-Deas to NX5 or NX6 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDETERS

Agricultural
May 1, 2008
US
What would be the recommened way of getting an I-Deas user up to speed in NX6. What did your company do? Was it on the job training or did you send users off to training? Was it easy to pick or did it take some time? (a month versus weeks)
Was there anything that you would have done different. Sorry if this topic is covered I did a search and could not find anything on this site.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

well, for us....most I-Deas users picked up NX pretty quickly. Some did not however and are still clinging to I-Deas for dear life :p
I think the main reason for that though is Teamcenter as opposed to NX. Also Drafting plays a large role in that as NX 2D is difficult to use compared to 2D functions in I-Deas Drafting. That's not to say NX Drafting is bad, because the detailing of 3D models is a HUGE improvement over I-Deas, and NX Drafting Plus (coming in NX7.5) takes care of the missing 2D functionality.

Teamcenter though is way different than TDM.....though I guess you users are probably already using TCII so that should go a little smoother.

We did 2 weeks of 4hr training with a group in the morning, and one in the afternoon. After our go live we still struggled, mostly with the TC integration aspect (people confused about implicit check-outs, etc...). But as far as NX use itself goes....once a user here became proficient and comfortable with NX (took anywhere from a month to 2 months) they DO NOT like going back into I-Deas to do anything.

Thanks We are currently making the switch to Teamcenter your comments was what I was looking for thanks. Sounds like teamcenter training is needed more than the NX training. We are Going to NX6 in about a year or so We need to get good with Teamcenter and then we will make the switch to NX. How bad was the teamcenter learning curve?

potrero, if you have access to the PLM world site, look for Drafting Plus or Drafting presentations from this years PLM World

SDETERS, I wouldn't say TC training is more important, but it is certainly important. We did our TC training only for TCII so we missed a lot of important things like Revision Loading, PSE, etc...

If your users are comfortable with TCII it should not be as much of an issue, but it is certainly different. Regarding your question...for us, the TC learning curve with much greater than the NX one.

Great Thank for the feedback once again.
We are going from our TDM (in I-Deas) to Teamcenter EGN.
Time to give everyone a star.

I have heard the NX drafting was not as good as I-Deas drafting as mentioned. May go check out this NX drafting Plus. I wonder if this Plus is going to be an add on with an extra money or is it a free thing like The History free modeling was.

I don't know what the I-Deas guys used at last release, but when swapping to NX buy everyone a spacepilot or spacenavigator 3D pointing device. Not only is it easier to use but it gets their head-space out of the old and into the new, and gives them en excuse to start thinking like NX users from the get go. It may not work for everyone but it seems to help users from other systems who I've worked with.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Nil Desperandum illegitimi non carborundum

@MCGNX, I looked on the PLM World website and found only one presentation on DraftingPlus - given by Dave Wingrace. The link to the presentation seems to be incorrectly pointing to a file about PMI. If you can give any specific pointers as to where to find the DraftingPlus presentation, I'd appreciate it.

SDETERS, the Drafting Plus will not be available until NX7.5 and it IS an add on module.....but not for existing I-Deas customers...they get it for free

Hudson is right about getting a spaceball, makes NX a breeze to navigate in and no worries about accidentally closing a dialog. Another important thing that he kind of touched on is to learn NX as NX, not I-Deas. That means don't rely on the I-Deas role and don't try to make cutter parts, etc...

potrero, that is the correct presentation but not sure why it's pulling a PMI. You may want to email Dave Wingrave if you have serious interest. He is very receptive to hearing from I-Deas Drafting users.

If any are interested I made presentations this year and the year before regarding our transition from I-Deas to TC to NX that give some insights into the process from a users perspective. They are all called Life After I-Deas. and are available on the PLM World site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back