Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forbes 25 best and worst jobs 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

sms

Mechanical
May 10, 2001
US
Forbes listed their 25 best paying jobs (in the US), and I was interested to note that two engineering positions made the list:

Engineering managers at a mean salary of $110,000 USD
Petroleum engineers at a mean salary of $101,000 USD

Here is the link to the article..

-The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

aplmke-
I agree 100%. I have never been comparing job stresses of professionals with life stresses of those in poverty - not once. This whole discussion started with someone saying, "I never realized America screwed over their bottom-enders so bad".

Getting back to the OP, I found this article interesting as well...

"The problem is that Britain has relatively few engineers – 5% of higher-education applicants opt for engineering courses against 15% in France and 44% in China. In 2004, there were more media studies undergraduates than physics and chemistry undergraduates combined."

So are you guys in the UK starting to reap the benefits of a tight engineering labor market?

-The future's so bright I gotta wear shades! B-)

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

I have never worked in a factory but I have had my fair share of fast food/restaurant jobs as well as professional jobs. I think there are different kinds of stresses for each. With the service industry I was on my feet all day and running around like crazy. So there was a physical stress. I had nothing to worry about if I did my job. No decisions, or resposibilities beyond getting my job done and going home. After a while of doing this there was not even a physical stress. It was just a job to pay the bills.

As an engineer I have had mental stresses. Worrying at night about decisions I made that day. If I screw up its not a 5 dollar value meal its a 100k tooling change. I also get to visit plants and see the end result of my labors. I don't think one line worker I have seen has any form of stress other than sore feet at the end of the day. I am not saying that all blue collar jobs are that way but just the ones I have seen. The only blue collar jobs I have any sympathy for is the newbie construction worker digging a ditch on the side of the road in the middle of winter while standing in water ;) And only a little bit because he probably makes more money than I do :)

On the other hand I believe stress is chosen. Stressed out? Quit! I have done it before and will do it again. Everyone makes their own bed. I don't care what your childhood was like. When you are on your own and responsible for your own life there is always a better way. Just making ends meet? Get a new job. Not educated enough to get that job? Go back to school. I went to school full time (for my BSME) while working full time and raising a family.

A family member of ours works on the line at GM and gets upset when he doesnt get his overtime. He makes 100k a year when he does. Doens't sound stressful to me. Personally if I was stressed out I don't care what they are paying me. To each his own I guess.

Sorry for the rant! I think I am stressing myself out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back