Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Force Ansys to continue the pre-check although a bad element is found

Status
Not open for further replies.

truckcab

Automotive
Jul 28, 2008
SE
I have a question regarding error messages from Ansys. Suppose that I have a model with some elements that violate quality requirements. E.g. I receive the error message below:

*** ERROR *** SUPPRESSED MESSAGE CP = 105.234 TIME= 16:09:48

Element 210036 has negative Jacobian values at 2 integration points and

the ratio of the part represented by the integration points to the

element volume/area reaches 0.118636935, which is larger than the

limit 1.E-02, Please modify the mesh before solving again.

Is it possible to get Ansys to report ALL elements in the model that violate the quality requirements. As is now Ansys ends after that the first occurrence of the error above. It is not very convenient to debug the model in this way.

I would like to force Ansys to pre-check the complete model before exiting and report a list of the element that violates shape requirements etc. Is this possible? If so, how do I do?

Live Long and Prosper !

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can control this behaviour using the /NERR and/or the /UIS command. There is an undocumented option using the /NERR command to continue even if errors are found but I would simply configure /NERR just to allow you to debug your mesh. You can use /UIS to control dialog box pop-up behaviour if this is an issue.

------------
See faq569-1083 for details on how to make best use of Eng-Tips.com

Dear Drej,
thank you for leading me on the right path. I can not, however, get it to work using /NERR. I run my analysis in batch and in the documentation the following is stated: " A batch run always aborts on the first error."

Is there some way I can override this in order to debug my model? It is really not an efficient way of debugging taking one element at the time

Live Long and Prosper !

Take a look at the SHPP command to control element shape checking. You can get Warning messages instead of Errors. You can also change the shape criteria.

Thanks kan,
these are some suggestions that I can check out. However, there exist no such toggle then? To force Ansys to continue the pre-check although an error has been found? Just wondering since I am familiar with that behaviour from other FE-codes and its more straight forward. Your suggestion is of course possible and perhaps necessary if no other way can be found.

Thanks for your suggestion!

Live Long and Prosper !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back