Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forces acting on component 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PH163RD

Mechanical
Apr 3, 2006
AU
Hi guys,
im trying to find the bending moment and forces acting on 4 bolts of a clevis bracket.

just to give you a brief description of the assembly. there are 2 clevis brackets each fixed to a slider with 4 bolts, the slider is connected to a roll. the clevis bracket is connected to a pneumatic cylinder that lifts the roll and releaseas it via quick exhausts. im trying to find the forces on the 4 clevis bracket bolts and clevis bracket as a whole when the system is coming to a stop. so from its dynamic to static point, which causes a bending moment on the slider and hence pulls the bolts out of their thread. any feedback is appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need a picture. Do a search on how to post them.

Generally: the max force will depend on the kenetic energy in the roll (which I am assuming is the massive element) and the elasticity of the brackets. Slowing the roll down (by throttling your quick exhausts) will probably keep your brackets from getting trashed.

-b

I know the weight of the roll so from this i can get the force when the roll is descending. im after forces on the bolts of the clevis bracket that lifts the roll! the bending moment from the inertia force on the roll causes the bolts to fail, so im after this force on them.

Is this the same problem you've been working on since May 18? I'm guessing you're not going to get much further without taking bvanhiel's suggestion and posting a picture.

Gave you a "star" CoryPad. I guess it is rocket science afterall, aye?

Kenneth J Hueston, PEng
Principal
Sturni-Hueston Engineering Inc
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back