Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forces on an inclined pipe connected with couplings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

elbulldogio

Mechanical
Feb 26, 2010
GB
Hello to you all,

I have been given a problem, consisting of a length of steel pipe of the following dimensions:- 1.75m OD x 3.5m long x 12mm wall amd the pipe is incline at 15 degrees to the horizontal along the longitudinal axis of the pipe. The pipe is to linked into a system using couplings at either end, and I need to calculate the shear forces that these couplings will have to resist. The pipe will be filled completly with static water.

I have worked out the combined mass of this pipe and have assumed that the combined mass acts through the c of g of the pipe which is at intersection of the 3 axes of the pipe. Both couplings must resist the the pipes natural wish to fall to the floor, which would make these couplings supports, S1 and S2.

And at this point I am stuck, I was wondering if some of you kind people with a better education and vast experience can point me in the correct direction. I have been reading books trying to solve this but it all looks like legal language to me. Apologies if you think this is a stupid question.

Please help! Many thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi elbulldogio

Please provide a sketch of your system, also the pipe should be supported by saddles, is there nowhere you can attach saddle supports?

desertfox

Hi Desert Fox, I am told that it's not possible to place supports beneath the pipe, due to items below it. The pipes either side of the inclined pipe are supported using saddle supports, and I thought that they could create a bridge between these supports to allow placement of saddle supports beneath the inclined pipe. But again I was told NO. So the couplings are having to support the weight of pipe & water. S1 & S2 on the diagram are to show that the couplings are acting as supports, but I have shown the line of action to be through the centerline of the coupling (end of pipe is 25mm away).

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=ded55954-75f8-481a-a794-2c86d75ee926&file=PIPE_LAY_PROB.tif
Hi

Okay I have uploaded a file which might help, I have calculate S1 and S2 but at 90 degrees to the sloping pipe in your sketch, so you need to resolve them to get the true vertical loads by triangle of forces.
Also you have a thrust load acting from S2 towards S1 which I have also calculated.
I think you need to get some senior engineers help with this,what I have calculated is merely the static reactions, if the fluid is moving then its more complicated, although you say that fluid is static in your post, is it always static.
Once you have the reactions which I have estimated from your sketch somebody needs to evaluate the welds on the supports etc.
Finally I don't know whether you need to look at the inclined pipe itself and treat it as a short beam as its bound to have some stress and deflection.

desertfox

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=fb26da48-37f0-4be1-bff2-9480fbc1f0f3&file=support_reactions.pdf
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back