Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

FORD ECC'S , APLICATIONS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonieR

Electrical
Apr 2, 2003
US
I am a electric / electronic / controls type, looking for data on the ECC IV/V primarily I am interested in the ECC models / ID's that have the capacity to do full sequentcal fuel injection. I have visted several sites and procured many ford manuals , but cannot get any definitive answers. It seems that ford used " batch " , " bank " , and sequencal fuel injection , though , I have also found that several self proclamed "experts" do not know this. I am presently working with a 4.0 L ohv of 97 vintage in a 90 aerostar , and I want to move up to an ECC V that incorperates sequentchal injection. The problems I can see are to identify the ecc that does this and to find out if the original ecc communicates with the AWD transfer case control modual , if yes , in what fahion , and can the new ecc be compatible with any of the Aerostar AWD moduales?
After looking through several years of schematics for the Aerostar , no aperrent interface apperes to exist between the the ECC and Awd moduales but this can be deceptive due to the off and on use of digital com between moduals and the schematics are not allways complete. Further the schematics for many "EFI" and "SEFI" applications look to be the same in the areas of injecter wiring and sensor use. I hope some one out there has , or can direct me to , the information that I need to complete my research.
Thanks a bunch.
Jon

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Again I dont know what country you are in but Napa used to publish very informative book on efi that listed all makes with pinouts and sensor specs.

Tim: I am in the USA , what I am spouting is just what I have learned the hard way and by speaking with the boys that have been doing the after market chip programing. Some of these guys know there stuff some dont ,I have been fotunate to get hold of one that really does.

Greag: I agree with you on most of your comments , is it REALLY true that auto door locks ,that you cant turn off ,is customer requested?? They would have to be lame or scared silly of driving in the big city , only two posibilitys I can figure.

I for one hate them and feel like finding the wire to the door locks and cutting it even if disabled the manual electric locks.

You sound like some one in side ford do you know of any ford sources of tech data?

Jon

Hi:

I have a 95 Ford Explorer, 4.0L, 2wd, with 4R55E tranny, with non reprogramable EEC-IV computer part number F5TF-12A650-ARC having calibration code 5-58B-R10. I am getting a delayed tranny shift from 1st to 2nd and no engine braking when in manual 2nd. 3/4 Od light flashes and error code readout with analog vom gives me a code 646 (2nd gear ratio problem). I did a stall test per ATSG and it passed the required spec rpm range (not over speeding or going under) in all shift lever positions. Figuring the intermediate servo band is not being properly applied I have replaced a hard rubber seal intermediate servo piston and seal but it has not helped.

I downloaded a couple Ford TSB's off the adddata website and am a bit confused regarding the Ford TSB article 98-5-1 dtd 03/16/98. Is says it might be possible to fix my tranny problem and eliminate the blinking light error code by replacing my F5TF-ARC computer with a later design, model F5PF-BRA. Both old and new computers have same recomended calibration code.

I have been unable to locate any low cost (junkyard) F5PF-BRA's for my trial use in my vehicle. No trouble at all finding the ARC's. All the local tranny shops, with exception of Ford Dealer's shop, say they have never heard of a computer causing a tranny shifting problem. However the local Ford dealer tech manager, after I showed him the TSB, says I should first change the computer before starting to look for problems inside the tranny. Ford wants $ 275 for the BRA computer. Sure wish I could find a used one for $ 75 or so.

Does anyone have any technical details on what could be occuring that the model F5PF-BRA (I am assuming it may be a later design) may or may not solve my tranny problem ? I would like more info / knowledge before I under expense of having the tranny torn down or ordering a rebuilt tranny.

And that brings up another question, if I put in a rebuilt tranny and the problem is in the old design ARC computer, will I have to get the latest design BRA computer to make a rebuilt tranny work ?

Comments appreciated....

Mark

The chip inside is an 8096, but not a generic one; custom microprogrammed for Ford and all that rot. I am >>>GUESSING<<< that the ARC computer has a missing or incorrectly implemented opcode.

MAYBE you could accumulate a pile of ARC computers, really cheap, since they are clearly of no use to anyone. Maybe you could eventually figure out what part of the ROM code is not working right, and implement a patch, e.g. doing the same operation with different opcodes.

If you can follow branches in 8080 or 6502 binary code from hex dumps, it might only take you a year to learn the 8096 instruction set and figure out the EEC's architecture and write the patch and test it. If you're starting from scratch with embedded computers, figure ten years.

It would be quicker to befriend someone at a Ford dealer so you can get a better price, and if your time is worth anything, it would still be cheaper to buy the -BRA, even at retail.

I agree with the Ford tech; don't open the tranny until you've replaced the computer and not solved the problem.

Mike Halloran
NOT speaking for
DeAngelo Marine Exhaust Inc.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA

Holy COW !
I am notcertain that all of this is on topic but I agree with Mike Halloran on this one , did this unit ever work correctly?
with a TSB it may be fords bill not yours.

Jon Russell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back