Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Foreign materials ASME certification?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rauval

Mechanical
Jun 2, 2009
US
Under what conditions can foreign materials be used as ASME materials? Is there a procedure to certify European steels as ASME materials?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What section of the code are you using? If this is for a section VIII pressure vessel, then UG-10 is probably what you're looking for. If this is for piping, I think it's easier; if this is for nuclear vessels, then it's harder.

easier? it is not. If the material spec is not listed or it has been approved by a code-case, then you will need a code-case approved. UG10 does not cover
materials to other specification or forein materials.

GenB - I don't think the OP is so much looking to use an unapproved material, as he is looking to certify/dual-cert a foreign material as one presently listed under ASME.

rauval - Can you please clarify whether you're looking to use an unlisted base material, or whether you're looking to have a "foreign" material certified as one of the listed grades?

GenB,
I am looking to use a foreign material, unlisted in the ASME code, but listed in the German PV code, for the fabrication of an ASME pressure vessel.

You need to get the foreign material adopted by ASME per Section II Appendix 5, or get it dual-certified to an ASME specification per UG-10. See page 4 of this ASME newsletter:

In response to GenB, I must confess that I am not very familiar with piping codes. However, I noted that ASME B31.1, paragraph 123.1.2(A) permits unlisted materials as long as they are made to a published specification, not necessarily ASME. So that sounds easier to me. That code also allows non-metallic piping, which is never allowed under Section VIII.

"My tube socks were designed and fabricated in accordance with the intent of the code. They're just not stamped."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back