Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forged Alloy 825 Valves

Status
Not open for further replies.

lcarter157

Mechanical
May 24, 2005
US
My service is Hydrogen, Wet & Sour. The client's pipe specifications call for B564 (Forged) N08825 Valves, I have sizes up to 10" and 1500# class. Vendors tell me that they cannot supply to B564, they quote A494 (Cast) instead.

ASME B16.34 does not give a pressure rating for A494 N08825 material. In fact N08825 is not listed as a cast material,the only materials per A494 are Hastelloy B & C.

Are larger valves (6") available in N08825 per B564? Surely we are not the only ones in this service.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I checked the chemical composition and machanical properties of B564 N08825 and A494 N08826. Please note that it is not A494 N08825 but A494 N08826(CU5MCuC). There is a different for their tensile strength(586MP/520MP). It is recommended that in the hydrogen industry in view of the hydrogen corrosion forged valve is more reliable.

Luxeal,

I need 2", 3", 4" & 6" 1500# RF Globe Valve, ASTM B 564 N08825 per ASME B16.34. The client piping specification for this service calls for valves as large as 24" in this material, so far, I have not been able to find a manufacturer who can supply a valve larger than 4" in B564 N08825 (Forged) - the only offerings have been for castings per ASTM A 494 in Hastelloy. Cast N08825 is not listed in B16.34.
Also, the only offerings that I have had for the smaller valves have been for bodies machined out of bar stock. Acceptable, but not forged.

Thank you,

As far as I know, globe valve suppliers are more used to deal with large projects and standard materials. Have you considered MSBVs?

Luxeal

Forged valve bodies will require a construction of a forging die. The manufacturers are balking at your request because even small dies are quite expensive. We were looking at a die for a 3" plug valve and the die cost was nearly $40k. I can't imagine what a die would cost for a 24" 1500# globe valve. Additionally even if you were willing to pay the cost to develop the dies, finding a forge that could handle such an endeavor, and be willing to make a small production run in an exotic alloy would be challenging. If the manufacturer does find a forge you can bet they are going to charge big bucks to accomodate the order.

Good luck,

VRF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back