Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Forged flanges in A182 F347 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christian Dimitrov

Mechanical
Aug 21, 2024
BG
We have to proqure ( WN flanges 16"600LBS XS in A182 F347 + N ).
The producer in China proposed this Solution Annealed at 1080℃ firstly , then carried out Stabilization at 880℃.
But in A182 is not the same and also there is noting writen for Normalization in the standard for this grade F347.

Give me ideas. Flanges will be used in Rafinery project without further knowlage.
Thank you in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Christian Dimitrov said:
Give me ideas. Flanges will be used in Rafinery project without further knowledge.

*alarmbells*

Do you mean you have no further information about the application? Or no further knowledge about flanges or ASTM standards? What ideas are you hoping to get?

Please bear in mind this is a free-to-use and open-access forum. Anyone can tell you anything, but it's up to you to decide whether or not you take over that advice. In order to do so, it would be recommended you have some basic understanding about the topics your question is related to.

In general, I'd say that if the items provided meet spec, you're OK. If your purchase order only refers to A182 F347, then A182 is your spec that dictates the requirements. Is this for an ASME vessel? You need ASTM A182 or ASMA SA182? What edition/year of the standard?

Huub
- You never get what you expect, you only get what you inspect.

As XL83NL has stated whatever you purchase must comply with the Delivery and Tesing requirements of the applicable standard.
Then it must also comply with any additional project specific requirements which you have not noted.

Baseicly you stait that we have to follow ASTM A182 for heat treatment.
As far as my technical knowlages are Stabilization is similar to Normalization.

As A182 point 10.1 is writen that Stabilization for F347 must be prerformed:

- Subsequent to the solution anneal for Grades F 321, F
321H, F 347, F 347H, F 348, and F 348H, these grades shall be
given a stabilizing treatment at 1500 to 1600 °F [815 to 870
°C] for a minimum of 2 h/in. [4.7 min/mm] of thickness and
then cooling in the furnace or in air

You do realize that these temperatures are not hard conversions.
I would just point out that the spec has an 870C max and see what they say.
Performance wise this isn't a big deal.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

The temperature may look like normalizing but the purpose is very different.
You are trying to force the formation of Nb carbides so that Cr carbides don't form later in service.
These alloys do not like being annealed or stabilized in a nitrogen environment.
And the alloy needs to have limited amounts of nitrogen.
Otherwise the Nb will all end up as nitrides and your alloy will not stabilize.
HE only happens in these alloys in a limited temperature range and if you are actively charging with atomic H while the cracks are being opened.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back