Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

forging for small quantites 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobM2

Mechanical
Dec 16, 2003
US
I'd like to forge several steel shafts but I think the quantites we use may be too small. We go thru about 800 pcs/year. The shafts would be about 7/8 dia x 12" long with a hub of 2" dia x .88 long on one end. Quantities too small for any forging process?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's just a matter of cost. At this volume, you're going to have to pay for tooling up front and setup charges each time the parts are run. If your packaging is good enough to protect the inventory from rust and degradation, maybe you could make several years' worth of parts in one setup.

The key is to find a forging source who will do such a short run at a reasonable cost. Sometimes the press manufacturers can do that, or you can find a company that could use your parts for their own process development work. Of course, it always helps if you are working with a steel that is relatively formable.

If you want a recommendation, you can contact me at:

bvasa@gbsupport.com

Good luck!

Hi,

I visited a short run forge this morning and I had your question in the back of my head.

The guy I talked to said that he could do that in "two bangs" in his machine. You can reach him at "info at hammar-hejarsmide.com" if you think they can help you.

They do work for Volvo and Saab prototypes, but it is a small "mom-and-pop" operation so I think they are quite affordable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back