Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Form Tool That Extends to the Edge of a Part

Status
Not open for further replies.

Figbash

Mechanical
Apr 10, 2003
US
All of the form tool info that I've found deals with form tools that fall within the confines of a part. I need to make a double jog in a web on a sheet metal part that extends to both edges. To form such a jog in real life, I would make a punch wider than the web so that the jog would reach the edge. If I make a similar form tool in SolidWorks, it extends the formed jog out past the edge of the web. I could make a form tool the exact width of the flange, but the edges are not parallel and I would like to be able to have the ability to adjust the position of the jog. I guess the excess could be trimmed after forming, but that seems awkward. Any ideas on how to do this?

Thanks,

Tom

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When I have a SW form tool that extends past the edge, for me usually a stiffening rib or emboss providing a panel mounting surface, I model the part wider than the form tool area, then extrude-cut off the extra material after the forming tool is applied.

Diego

Is there any reason you need to use the form tool instead of the jog feature? With the jog feature you just sketch a line across your part.

The jog does not extend across the entire part, so I think a form tool is the only way to do it. I ended up just trimming the excess off to get it done and move on. It's not an elegant solution but it did get the job done.

Thanks

Front_Support_with_large_lower_radius_eyls10.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back