Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Formatted c: after installing new OS on e:

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassie

Computer
Sep 9, 2003
NL
Hi,

I have two hard drives. I had xp installed on c: (is the old hard drive, primary master ide0)
I installed xp on e: (is the new hard drive, secondary master ide1)

What have I done:
after installing a working XP-os on e:, set all the right parameters, I formatted C....(well done..) because I wanted to use this old hard drive for other data.

So, after restarting windows wouldn't boot anymore, because my MBR was probably deleted?

my question is:

Besides changing the drives into primary and secondary master and installing a new copy of XP on the new harddrive what else can I do?

Many thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You do need to have boot.ini on the system boot drive that points to the correct location for the OS. The file on my system looks like:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

TTFN

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

Where in this case disk = ide1 ?
something like

multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

so, default is pointing to an empty c-drive, disk(0), with no os, with no timeout for a multiboot, therefore it is not booting and asking for a missing .ini file? Because I formatted the C-drive or am I confusing u now?

I assume that what you did was:

c: and e:, both in system
install xp on e:

This would leave the bootloader and boot.ini on c:, both of which you need. The bootloader is located on track0 and is what actually goes and reads boot.ini to find the OS.

I think the simplest thing is to re-configure e: as c: and re-install.

TTFN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back