Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Formed Lip/Bend + Large Diameter Roll

Status
Not open for further replies.

oharag11

Mechanical
Jun 18, 2015
US
Hello. I have a problem I need addressed with SW Sheet Metal or SM capabilities in general.

Imagine a large, rolled diameter that creates an enclosed circle (we are talking large diameter - 50"). We have made this part in the past. The issue I'm having is that I need to add a bend to the length of the SM part prior to rolling it into a large circle. I've created a flat SM part in SW and I can add a flange - but is there a feature to roll this flat sheet into a circle in SW? If there is - can SW roll a flat sheet with a bend? And conversely - can this even been done in SM manufacturing? I can't find examples. I would think there would be undue stresses along the length of the bend causing deformation - and even warping of the flame.

We have a part already in the systems that someone created - they created the complete circle in sheet metal - converted to SM feature using a small gap at the end. This feature can be unfolded to a flat sheet - but I cannot add a sketched bend line or even create a flange along a leading edge.

Is it possible to do any of the above in SM in general - or even SW SM?

I will attach pics if the above is not clear.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is what I mean by rolled cylinder with bent flange - see attached.

I used SW SM swept flange feature. Though I get an error after completion - something about K-Factor not being suitable. I can unfold using flatten - but I cannot add an unbend feature. No edge is selectable. Any help would be appreciated.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=4113e3ef-a9e1-45c7-bf5b-15f54ad91e87&file=Screenshot_2022-12-12_150058.jpg
Screenshot_2022-12-12_150058_fi7wga.jpg

3DDave - any thoughts?

As stated I used swept flange function to create this part. It will flatten - but I can't create a unbend feature for adding holes.

If I create a circular SM part - I can flatten and unfold - but I cannot add a flange in unbent state - I guess since SW does not know how to rebend a flanged edge.

So this most likely is a SW functionality limitation - don't know if other SW packages can do this part.

Any help would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back