Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Forming an LLC - Can I Exclude Practicing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pvcmaster

Mechanical
Jul 11, 2013
US
Hi all, I live in California and yes I will engage a lawyer but would really appreciate some direction first! I currently manage engineering for a client, and I am contracted to them through another organization. I do have a PE in California but my job description makes clear that I am “not acting as a licensed engineer”. The client hires engineers of record for projects and I provide direction and select from options for them. I’d like to form a company so that I can contract with the client directly but understand that an LLC is not possible in CA if I am practicing. Is there a way to preserve a similar exclusion that would allow me to form an LLC? What type of lawyer could help me with this? Would it be best to deactivate my license? Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think it matters what your job description does or doesn't say. What matters is if you are actually engaged in activities covered under CA law for PEs. (I know Wisconsin's PE code has a fairly long and detailed list of activities that constitute engineering.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back