Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Formula for calculating motor voltage drop in delta condition in a star-delta motor circuit 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaboli

Electrical
Mar 9, 2006
IN
Hello to all. Should the following formula be used to calculate the voltage drop of the motor in the delta condition in a star-delta system considering that there are 2 cables between the panel and the motor and the current of this cable is 1/1.73 of the motor current?

voltage drop=Irated/sqrt(3)*(2*R*cos(phi)+√(1-cos(phi)^2)*2*X)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, if you have a star-delta starter and six leads going to the motor, the VD in those leads is based on the current in any one of them, so 58% of the motor FLC.

" We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know." -- W. H. Auden

Mr. zaboli (Electrical)(OP)10 Jul 23 09:54
".... Should the following formula be used to calculate the voltage drop of the motor in the delta condition in a star-delta system considering that there are 2 cables between the panel and the motor and the current of this cable is 1/1.73 of the motor current?.....Should the length of the cable be considered twice?"
I look at it this way for your consideration.
1. For simplicity, take the motor (run/delta) or rated current be I A.
2. A SD starter, when in run/delta condition:
a) the source current is I A.
b) the current flow through the main contactor = the delta contactor= the current flow through each of the six conductors.
c) the current is [ 0.732 x I] A.
3. The VD is calculated based on the current above 2. c).
4. For simplicity, the pf may be taken as 1.0, instead of the rated; as it varies within a small range, depending on the load.
Che Kuan Yau (Singapore)

Item c. is incorrect. It’s not 0.732 x 1. It is 1 / 1.732 which is .577 (58%).

" We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know." -- W. H. Auden

@ Mr. jraef (Electrical)11 Jul 23 17:31
"...Item c. is incorrect. It’s not 0.732 x 1. It is 1 / 1.732 which is .577 (58%)".
Thank you Sir. My sincere apology for the typographical error.
Yes, it should be [0.577 x I ] A.
Che Kuan Yau (Singapore)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back