Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Formula for 'pinch bolt joint' 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfinister

Mechanical
May 27, 2002
GB
Does anyone know the formula or process for relating bolt tension to the nominal internal pressure when clamping a bore to a shaft using a pinch bolt.

I have looked through text books and can't seem to get the relationship to work. There must be a way of relating the bolt tension to hoop tension and therefore stress. From which it is possible to determine the internal pressure.

Any ideas??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is no easy formula. One project I was involved in had a complex FEM analysis that computed a triple integral to related pinch bolt preload to force/stress on the shaft. I recommend using a similar approach, or use a different fastening method.

thanks CoryPad, I too have seen this method using FE. Unfortunately we don't have FE capability and I am stuck with the current fastening method.

I have divided the bolt tension by the Cross Secton area of the outer cylinder, this gives me a mean hoop stress If I assume this hoop stress is mid distance through the outer cylinder I can then determine the internal pressure maintaining equilibrium this is at the outer cylinder/shaft.

For simplicity it is reasonable to assume zero deflection of the shaft and that the fit is zero gap prior to bolt (pinch) load. I think this gives me a reasonable estimate.

Does this seem reasonable anyone??

I have a question unstanding the mechanism. Is there a hole in the shaft where the bolt is forced in and the pressure difference between inner and outer diameter of the shaft is parameter we are looking for?

Andreas

How about ASME B&PV Code Sec VIII Div 1 Appendix 24 for clamp connections [like Graylocs or TriClover Clamps]? Might be good for a rough check.

Gunsmith

The joint is best described as follows.

A component has a machined bore which fits over a shaft, for argument sake there is no difference between bore and shaft diameter and the shaft is solid. The component(which is cylindrical) has a slot machined through one wall in the axial direction. There are 2 lugs attached either side of the slot. A bolt is tightened through these lugs producing a reduction in bore diameter and hence producing a clamp load between bore and Shaft. The relationship I need to identify is the bolt tension vs clamp load or average contact pressure between shaft and bore.

I don't know what type of joint this is called.

We talk about a normal clamping device.
Let us say that a torque Mt is the outer force to withstand than we need a frictional-torque Mr which has to be produced by the clamping device (bolt). So the force pressing against the shaft has to be:

Fn > Mt/d/mu

d=diameter of the shaft
mu=friction coefficient between shaft material and component material

the Force in the bolt You need is:

Fb > Mt*l1/l2/d/mu

l1=distance between midpoint of shaft and its maximum outline point
l2=distance between midpoint of the bolt and mamximum outline point of the shaft

surface pressure has to be controlled by:

pm = Fn/d/L < pzul

pm=surface pressure
L=length of bore the shaft fits in
pzul=allowed surface pressure for the worst material in the system

I think that is all You need for the calculation.

Andreas

Thanks Gunsmith

Can I clarify a few points

are l1 and l2 radial dimensions? and when you mention shaft outline dimension do you mean Outside Diameter?

For a given bolt load are you saying Fn=Fb*L2/L1?
In my calculations this always gives a smaller Fn than Fb, I thought pinch bolts work the other way round? You get a higher normal load for a given pinch load.

I think Fn> Mt/(d/2)/mu ?

Do you know of text where I can find this?

Chris

Hi Chris,

the calculation is out of &quot;Maschinenelemente&quot; from H.Roloff und W.Matek, edition 1976, page 280/281. It is a German book dealing with all kinds of machine parts and their calculation.

Fn can´t be smaller than Fb because l2 is more than 2*l1 in the example drawing here. Send me Your email and I will make a pdf-file of the two pages for You. That´s better than any explanation.

Andreas
mail@waffentechnik.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back