Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Formula for two adjacent weirs

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimBL

Mechanical
Feb 11, 2004
GB
I am looking at a flow control/flow splitting device using two weirs set at different levels and adjacent to each other in the same stream. Flow volumes are large max 450l/s. Any ready formulas out there for calculating the head or flow for this arragement?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Timbl, When you say "weir" what kind of weir? Each type has it's own flow vs head characteristic. Do a web search for Isco. They are the experts on open channel flow measurement.

Hope this helps.
saxon

Cameron's Hydraulic Data has weir formulae for a variety of wier types.

Other threads on this site state where one can get a current or older Cameron versions.

rmw

Some clarifcation the weirs are thin plate weirs. The weirs will be set in the channel side (at 90 degrees to the normal flow) there will be a step between the two weir levels

sounds like you need a hand book on open channel irrigation

most of the documented weir flow fornulas are for normal flow with known upstream conditions.

It all depends on what you want to do. If you want to meter the flows accurately then you must ensure that all the requirements regarding distance from flow disturbances are met, taking into account that each weir is a flow disturbance to the other weir(s).

But if all you want to do is achieve a flow split where +/-15% accuracy is OK then you have got a chance. From what I have seen on weirs the flow disturbance diminishes rapidly with distance, and if you have about 18 inches (450 mm) the weirs will have little effect on each other.

As I have said here several times before - the answer depends on the question, so the question has to be clearly stated if you want a clear answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back