Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Formulas in Cells?!?! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bc3v5

Computer
Jan 15, 2003
US
When I past a formula into another cell and try to edit it, the value of the cell displays the formula!?!?!
Ex.
I have the following formula in a cell..
=IF($BA12=1,VALUE(CONCATENATE($AX12,$AW12)),IF($BA12=11,VALUE(CONCATENATE($AX12,$AW12))," "))

When I edit this formula in any way... the formula itself is diplayed in the cell...not the value.

ANY help would be great.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When you paste it, Excel may be adding a single quote to the beginning of the string, making it text. If this is the case, simply remove the leading quote. Another option is to Ctrl-C and Paste Special > Fomula. DimensionalSolutions@Core.com
While I welcome e-mail messages, please post all thread activity in these forums for the benefit of all members.

Thanks for the reply..
It doesnt seem to be putting the " so I tryed the special paste. Is there any specific type of paste I should try? I tryed selecting formulas and it went into the cell correctly ...but agian, when I try to edit it, it leaves the formula in the cell...

Im editing in the formulas bar (also tried in the cell and the dialog box) then clicking the green check to set it.

The values that the formula needs to display are in 01, 02, 03 format. I needed to change the format of the cell to "text" in order to get the 0 to appear infront of the 1. Otherwise I would just get a 1. Is there another format I should be using for the cell that may help this formula display properly?

Thanks.

Nope, you have the "edit directly in cell" option turned on.

Goto Options|Edit tab. It should be the 1st check box on the tab.

TTFN

btw... edit directly in cell is the default installation setting for Excel. It's annoying to me, I usually wind up spending 10 minutes or so on a installation, re-setting things to the I want.

TTFN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back