Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FormWork Design Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfat

Structural
Sep 8, 2008
PK
Formwork design is the responsibility of Contractor, and structural consultant should not be asked to check and approve it, rather a third party should do it.

I would like to know what is the general practice for Formwork design review and approval (submitted by Contractor) in other countries. Does any Structural Consultant, if asked, accept and do that as additional scope? I am talking about normal shearwall/column and floor slab formwork (not special case as transfer girder or slab).

Please comment as per your experience and practice. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Where I practice we don't review formwork. Except for elevated slabs where they are re-shoring onto previously poured slabs. We review the proposals in that case to ensure that the lower floors aren't overloaded by the re-shoring.

In Eastern USA in my particular experience, we "review" it sometimes but not really. Basically if it's signed and sealed by a Professional Engineer, we look at it for a few minutes and put an approval stamp with a bunch of language saying we didn't review it thoroughly. If it doesn't have sign and seal, we send it back saying we can't review it without sign and seal. It has come across my desk I think 4 times in 11 years.

I've done formwork and reshoring design before, and never had the EOR review it for approval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back