Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Forum Related Question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Obturator

Mechanical
Feb 22, 2010
GB
Hi. I couldn't find anywhere within the forum, how to make contact on forum issues. I have 2 issues;-

1. Can this "Safety Relief Valve Engineering (PSV)" forum be moved to Mechanical Engineering ?
There are new users coming on having difficulty finding this forum.
Might be also an idea to change the forum title to "Pressure Relief Valves / Safety Valves"

2. I have the option to receive an email once a reply to a post is done.
Is there similar to when a freshly posted question is made?

Thanks in advance.

Per ISO-4126, only the term Safety Valve is used regardless of application or design.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hmmm,

No 1 - I'm not sure about this. Most of the questions / issues relate to process type issues which sit better under chemical / process engineering, not mechanical issues like isolation valves etc.
I'm surprised you would like th etitle changed - as per your strap line "Per ISO-4126, only the term Safety Valve is used regardless of application or design." should mean Safety valve is first on the description no??

2) I turn off all e-mail alerts, but that's just me. Just when you log on the new posts are in bold and there is a little "new" sign when someone comments. If you want an email for alerts then maybe, but only so long as it is an option you need to choose and not a default option.
LI

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

You are welcome.

On #1, some food for thought. It's been in ChE for a very long time. Of the top 10 SRV forum MVPs, 6 are ChE, 1 is Petroleum, 2 are ME, and 1 is Industrial.

On #2, do you mean only in a forum of your choosing, for example, the SRV forum? Like LI, I get no e-mail notification. I use "My Forums" for that.

Good Luck,
Latexman
Pats' Pub's Proprietor

Thanks Guys.

1. It's hardly chemical engineering is it? . Whether it is application, process or other related, a PRV is still a mechanical device. Look at the "valve engineering" forum where some also post PRV related issues. Maybe SRV belongs here alongside?

I suggested "Pressure Relief Valve/Safety Valves" to cover a global spectrum. Most of the USA standards using world uses PRV, and the ISO term SV is more in use (as qualified in my tagline ISO....). These are the 2 top level terms before we get into relief valve, pilot oper....

2. I mean when a new, never answered post, comes up on the SRV forum. I can't see/find a way to get a prompt when that occurs - ie. without logging on.

Per ISO-4126, only the term Safety Valve is used regardless of application or design.

1. Obviously ChEs are heavily involved in sizing, specifying, and installing SRVs. I've been doing it for decades, as do a lot of ChEs. Look at who uses the forum and the MVPs. Besides, once one gets a forum in their Forum Management List, it doesn't really matter where it is, does it? A lot of newbie ChEs post about SRVs in several other ChE forums, even though SRVs is in ChE. I tell them their SRV posts will be better served in the SRV forum. It's not just ME newbies. It's probably more of a function of where Google lands them in their search.

Good Luck,
Latexman
Pats' Pub's Proprietor

Fair enough Latexman. I understand better now. Guess I'm looking at it more as a 'supplier' rather than a user. Thanks again.

Hi there!

I am the community manager here. Thank you so much for your ideas.

1. I will speak with the team to see what everyone thinks.
2. I think what you are wanting is a "subscribe" to a specific forum kind of thing. I am going to look into making this happen.

Thanks Skylar. Please consider all other comments made earlier. Loòk forward to your advice.

It does seem to be in the wrong place. Google finds this forum if you search for "safety relief valves", but "relief valves" doesn't land here. Neither does "pressure relief valves"

“What I told you was true ... from a certain point of view.” - Obi-Wan Kenobi, "Return of the Jedi"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back