Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FOUNDATION DESIGN SOFTWARE

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLSTR

Structural
Jul 4, 2010
US
Hi, Friends. I plan to purchase a foundation design software using in USA mainly for deep foundation. Can someone tell me which is better in Foundation 3D, Staad.Foundation, and ASDIP serial? Many thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In my organisation we use a combination of Geocentrix Repute! and Wallop for piled foundations, occasionally in combination with Plaxis for more complicated analyses, expert witness cases or where the design was wrong in the first place!

It really depends on the sophistication you require, whether it be "hand-calculation" software, pseudo-FE or "real" FE.

Mainly deep foundations. Meaning piles, pile caps, and drilled piers. Do I understand you correctly? What do you expect the program to do for you with respect to the piles?

The reason why I ask is because there are some programs (Lpile?) geared towards calculating the properties (stiffness capacity) of the pile itself based on entered data for soil layers and such. That is a different family of program than the ones you described, I believe.

Then there is the family of programs (like RISAFoundation or STAAD foundation or such) where you are asked to enter the stiffness and capacity of the piles based on information that you received from a soils report or geotech. Then the program merely runs an analysis to tell you how much load goes into each pile and how much reinforcement you need in the cap / slab to resist the applied forces.

Note:
I work for RISA (hence the reason why I added it to that list!). Regardless of personal bias, I would think you need to clarify your question in order to get a more complete response.

Appreciate your understanding and insight/input, JoshPlum. I would design drill shaft or piling foundations, computing their capabilities for vertical and horizontal loads and settlements in multi-layer soil. I will look into the RISAFoundation also.

These three books should have everything you need:

1- 2- 3-
You can get a feel for the overall design better when you go through the hand calculation method first. You will be able to catch software output that is too low or too high easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back