Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Foundation pilling cost

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterPiper

Chemical
Oct 7, 2002
GB
I have a small project that involves the installation of a tank and pump the tank is 304 st/st 2m dia by 6m tall will hold 18.5m³ of water full, and the pump weight is 90kg. The foundation is for nothing else.

The project eng I have insists on having a piling foundation with a concrete slab, 3m by 4m approx. A quote of $53K (£28K or 40K eur)has been provided for this.

I am no expert on civils but this seems a tad excessive.

Firstly is a piling foundation really necassary for a relatively small amount of weight and what you feel a ball park cost of the foundation would be.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Without knowing something about the soil conditions it is not possible to say if piles are needed or not. It is also difficult to comment on the cost not knowing the required length of the piles. However, if the piles are 20 or 30 feet long, $53k does not seam too high.

Another thing that has an impact on whether piles are needed is the amount of allowable settlement of the tank and pump. If the allowable settlement is 12 inches then it is very unlikely that piles are needed, however, if the allowable is 0.25 inches then piles are almost a forgone conculsion.

Geopave is correct in that one really needs to have an idea of the soils at site. If you were to use 3m dia footing, if my quick calcs are correct, you will have only about 30kPa which is pretty light. Your project engineer might be worried about overturning? Would have to consider this.

Another consideration would be the actual site conditions that the pile driving would be performed in. Is the site confined or difficult to access? What type of piling are you specifying? Steel prices have skyrocketed in the last few months.

To furnish & Drive H-Piles cost would be roughly $100 US/meter in the Northeast US. The big cost is mobilizing, which depending on equipment can range from $5,000 for a backhoe mounted driver to $20,000 for a latice boom rig with leads. If a load test is required that could add another $10 to $15,000. Ask for additional quotes. Talk to the bidders to see if there are concerns about the work, and look at alternate systems. Loads are light enough to use timber piles efficently.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back