Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Fourier heat trans equation problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PEinOHIO

Mechanical
Sep 8, 2010
US
i'm checking some calculations, i can't figure out how they got the following equation from fouriers law:

q = (4)(pi)(k)(delta T) / (ln(t1/t2))

for a long wire
---------------

fouriers law is q = (k)(A)(delta T) / L

are they using characteristic length instead of wire length?
i'm not sure about the natural log of time either

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

'they' are the people's work i am checking, employees.

the equation they have is correct, it is an equation used for a probe method of measuring thermal conductivity. the 4 pi has to do with boundary conditions. thanks

Sorry for having miuntepreted...

Carslaw, H. S. and Jaeger, J. C, Conduction of Heat in Solids, Oxford Press, 2nd ed., 1964, pp. 58-60, 344-345

hacksaw,

Google "measurement of apparent thermal conductivity probe method" and you'll see the equation reported in the OP is correct, as confirmed by PEinOHIO in his/her second post

Looking at the paper ione posted, I think the simplest explanation is that the heat flux related to 2.Pi..etc relates to a heat transfer boundary condition on a cylindrical surface, whereas the 4.Pi..etc. relates to the solution of the transient heat transfer equation for relatively small r, which the thermal probe within the medium is assumed to be.

Tata

yep, that is the same reference i found. i too thought the 4pi should have been 2pi, but i learned something haha. thanks for the help everyone!

happy friday

1) Wire length as measured,
2) Natural Log, not base 10.

Kenneth J Hueston, PEng
Principal
Sturni-Hueston Engineering Inc
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back