Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fractional HP motor & a code question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

toygasm4u

Electrical
May 17, 2006
US
I have a 1/20 HP motor on a reducer, 115V. I want to plug this into the wall. The motor doesn't include any sort of thermal protection / OL protection. For 1/20 HP, am I required to provide additional protection aside from the 15A branch circuit protection i.e. circuit breaker?

I keep getting caught in the loop created by NEC 2008 430.42(C), 430.32, and 430.53. A code wizard I am not.. but I can't help but think about a simple box fan. These don't have thermals that I'm aware of.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Most likely it has a "Klixon" thermal switch built-in somewhere. It may or may not have an external reset, some are automatic when it cools, but it would say somewhere that it is "Thermally Protected" or has "Integral Protection", something like that.
motor-ac-2bm.jpg

But beware! Dayton (a common brand sold by Grainger) for some reason apparently sells a PSC gearmotor that has NO thermal protection built in, which means you would have to supply it externally in the form of an OL relay. No idea why they would do that, cheap I guess.
If you are going to control it manually with a switch, but a Manual Motor Starter what has a 1 pole heater element, sized for the FLC of that motor (looks like .62A from that Dayton sheet).

67d9_35.JPG

(Note: image is from eBay, will eventually disappear)

Box fans and the like often use "impedance protected" motors, a euphemism for it being a shaded pole motor that can be held at locked rotor and not overload. As a "fail safe" issue, they typically have a small wire buried somewhere in the design that will open long before anything else catches fire. They will not identify it as a fuse however, because that would imply it can be replaced, and it cannot.

"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe." -- Abraham Lincoln
For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

Thanks for the feedback guys; I think a thermal is an option we can ask for from the manufacturer (cheaper that way). Waiting for feedback from them now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back