Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fracture / Acid Wash / Squeeze Stimulation Treatments

Status
Not open for further replies.

welltest1

Petroleum
Jul 15, 2010
CA
Should be a fairly easy question. But, I could not find anything when I googled this.... What is a "Data Frac"?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Data Frac has nothing to do with your title. A "Data Frac" is another way of saying DFIT (diagnostic fracture injection test) or "Mini Frac" or FET (fluid efficiency test) where you determing the fluid efficiency of your formation. Other parameters or properties can be derived if the right conditions exist (overburden, reservoir pressure, closure, kh).

To: TEXWS6. Okay, thanks. But, often times I have come across data fracs, mini fracs, injectivity tests, etc. just prior to the actual hydraulic sand frac treatment in completions reports. The injectivity tests were essentially conducted to determine the limits at which the formation will begin to fracture near the wellbore. Hence, when the actual hydraulic fracture treamtment is conducted, there is a better success at actually fracturing the formation for improved productivity. So, you are saying that terminology-wise, "Data Frac", "DFIT" and "Mini Frac" are essentially the same thing and have similar objectives?

To: Whomever: Still on the top of Fracturing/Stimulating nearby formation.... What is meant by a "sand off"? I am getting conflicting information. It is not entirely clear on these completions reports I am reviewing.
Thanks.

Essentially a DFIT, data frac, mini frac are all the same. If the well was shut in with gauges placed on surface or downhole and the resulting SIWHP was analyzed it was not for testing the limits of fracturing the formation. It was to determine fluid efficiency and if pseudo steady state was achieved, perm could be calculated. Also, if the appropriate steps were performed, a step up/step down could have been performed to determine tortuosity near the wellbore.

A sand off is the same thing as a screen out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back