Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frames - Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

karmoh

Industrial
Mar 1, 2008
AU
Hi All,

Anybody experienced with the frame command.

I have a project that requires lots of frames to be made from profiles similar to RHS (or SHS). But with up-stands of various types.

If all the sides of the frame are of the same type there are no issues and everything works fine.

The 2 profiles I have attached make a section of a window. J6 is for jambs and head, J5 is for the sill.

Normally I create these as individual parts and assembly, but I thought I would give the frame command a chance.

The problem is that Jambs and head are fine but when I add the Sill it places correctly but doesn’t mitre.
The profiles have had all the extras removed and are simple sketch/protrusions for the test and may not be fully constrained. Please note, J5 Sill is in the correct position

The Frame command doesn't seem to have a tutorial or any real information in help.

There have been posts in the past between Beachcomber and Don Young which were helpful.

Are there any real web tutorials out there? I've had a browse but most are very basic.

Any Help would be appreciated :)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

karmoh
I think you are asking too much of the frame tool in this instance. The mitre point isnt obvious and therefore beyond the scope of this tool.

As you say, the tutorials are basic - like the tool.

There is new frames functionality in ST3 but as yet no info is available on exactly what has been added.

Tony

I can't open the file is it ST2? I only have ST1.
Sometimes you may need to extend parts then trim with an assemby cut.
Sorry I can't be more helpful but I'm on holiday this week (back Thurdsay).
Can you post an image of what you are trying to achieve and I'll have a look when I come back.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

So, I tried this out. The only way I could get the frame members to mitre is to place J6 on all 4 sides in the same Frame feature. Then I edit the Frame feature, select the Modify Cross Section step, deselect all cross sections using the red X (as all 4 are selected by default) and then select the bottom cross section. Then select the Select New Cross Section Component command and select J5, then rotate/flip/reposition it as needed.

Ken

Ken G.

Thanks Ken,

I haven't tried this out yet, but I think I messed up with the profiles J6 should have been J2 which is very similar except there is no outer upstand.
There is no reason why the method shouldn't work for J2 also

Thanks

Oh well!
In the end I went back to my old tried and tested method.

I create a master generic sketch profile with all the combinations. The actual profile has a lot more to it than the basic ones I sent through.

I then create a generic assembly sketch of a frame, with new reference planes at the centre of each sketched line representing a Head, jamb or sill, positioning the sketch of the generic profile at the center of each these planes. Using create in place method, I create a protrusion of each profile linking to the end points of each line. I then mitre (er) the ends.

Finally I create a generic draft.

This way by changing the original sketch O/A dims I can create as many frames as required. I hope that makes sense.

I thought I could skip a few steps using the frame command……………..maybe by ver 1001

Cheers

I have done frames in ST1 before but I can't get it to work at the moment.
Its a while since I used frames but from what I remember you might need to create it in one frame and then change the cross-section of the odd one as Ken describes.
Other than that it can be difficult to get members of different frames to mitre properly. I've sometimes had to use assembly cut-outs.
One thing though Karmoh, have you got the 'Coping on non-mitred joints' option checked - it might make a difference?
You could also try switching the butting options around.
Frames can be a bit frustrating and the commands need quite a lot of work by Siemens - hopefully ST3?

The good news is only one more week on this Catia V5 crap then its back to Solid Edge.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back